nonsensical text

Monday, November 27, 2006

heels are our friends

sleeping with bread

In honor of Thanksgiving, I thought it appropriate to once again visit the realm of gratitude. Having a thankful heart is something which has importance every day, not just on a holiday. Even so, it isn’t always the easiest thing to do.

When pondering the question, “For what am I least grateful?” it occurs to me that there are two ways to be ungrateful. At times, that for which I am least grateful is something that I do not like or appreciate – a weakness or a flaw. Today, I will talk about the other side of the issue. Another way to be ungrateful is to take for granted a great blessing. The heels on the loaf are often eschewed, but without them, the end slices would soon become stale. There are elements to my life which are just as essential, just as useful, just as golden, but I don’t often remember that they are a gift to me.

This week, I have spent a lot of time reading, doing puzzles, and generally avoiding responsibility. I haven’t exactly been lying around doing nothing, but I have made sure to take “me time” whenever possible. I began to reflect on my earlier days of motherhood when I had three young children and the husband was working a lot. I couldn’t go anywhere alone. Every minute of the day was spent trying to maintain some level of sanity.

Now, I have three older children to help with the younger three. Now I can run to the grocery store to get milk without having to find six socks and six shoes (and three children). I am able to get the milk and stand in line without hearing screams of, “Mommy can I have ______?” You fill in the blank. I have this enormous blessing of children I can trust, if not to clean the house, at least to care for their siblings with love (or at least minimal abuse). And yet, how often do I look at those blessings and impart to them the true measure of my gratitude? Not often enough.

I have been guilty of taking them for granted, of being ungrateful for a blessed gift, of missing opportunities to let them know how much it means to me.

I have, however, been the most grateful for my children this week as well. Even though much that should be done has fallen by the wayside, I look at these precious monsters and feel awe and thankfulness that I get to be their mother. Each one of them is so unique and wonderful. They aren’t super-children by any means, but they are very much in touch with the something special that makes them who they are. I am grateful that God has given me the ability and desire to really know them as them – not merely as an extension of myself.

There will come a day, in all probability, where none of them live at home with us anymore. Our lives will take separate paths with meeting places along the way. Knowing them will serve me well when those days come.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • T:

    I hear you on that older kid thing. Although having my two 8 years apart has presented challenges, there have been some definite rewards, too. A fourteen year old boy is very handy to have around for car loading and unloading, sister management, etc.

    I pray there is much in your week to be grateful for.

    M

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home