nonsensical text

Saturday, March 31, 2007

conversationally speaking

The hubster and I try very hard to instill in our children a sense of the absurd. This is to ensure that therapists will have certain employment many years into the future. Here is a snippet of conversation I overheard last evening as the hub-man was putting Happy Feet into the DVD player.

Pink(excitedly): Dad, dat Happy Feet?

Dad: No, this is Sad Feet. They take the penguins' little feet and chop them all off right about there (indicating ankle height).

Pink (still in good humor): Oh, den dey go like dis.

Here she exhibited a rather comical rendition of a crippled Happy Feet tap dance - I wish the video camera had been near at hand.

On a side note, I have been pondering the idea of giving super secret screen names to each member of the brat household (in the somewhat overly optimistic view that it might aid people outside of the family circle in actually keeping track of them all. But who am I kidding? I can't even remember their real names! Yes, I am kidding - pretty much). Any suggestions will be considered (or at least enjoyed for their amusemesnt factor).

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I say choose a realistic theme for names. :)

    For example, if you like literature, you could select names form your favorite book, or your favorites characters of all time. Or from movies.

    Or Greek/Roman gods/mythology characters.

    As for your story...quick on her feet, she is! LOL! No pun intended!

    I think sense of the absurd is crucial in life. Good parenting!

    By Blogger Julie Pippert, at 11:04 PM  

  • I have no idea how to come up with names, but I definitely like the idea. The initials confuse me! ;)

    And I wish you'd had the video camera handy for the Sad Feet dance, too!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:16 AM  

  • *chuckling*

    Now I KNOW I haffta watch the penguin movie.

    Happy naming!
    I keep mine simple. "the girl", "the boy", "the Brit".

    Not real creative....LOL....but it works for me!

    By Blogger Mel, at 11:49 AM  

  • Grrr, and more grrs, I posted a huge response and it was eaten by the ! monster. -trying again but it may sound abrupt this time around.

    Julie, thanks so much for stopping by! I like your idea about literary names. Unfortunately, most of the characters to whom I relate my children have really long names, and I am not the fastest typist.

    Perhaps I could use the seven dwarves (then again, I just couldn't be Snow White - my housecleaning is not up to snuff).

    Mary, part of me is optimistic enough to think that I will not only manage the naming ceremony, but figure out my camera. Then I could create a quick reference page with their pictures and secret squirrel names. Ah, good intentions!

    Mel, we use those types of names around here too, but there are just too many "the boys," so it gets rather confusing. :)

    The penguin flick is rather preachy but quite watchable (due in no small part to good music and great animation).

    Off to pretend to accomplish something...

    By Blogger atypical, at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home