nonsensical text

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

croutons


sleeping with bread
Years ago, when N was just a babe, we rarely got the opportunity to eat out. On one special day, we did get to go out. I remember having a chicken sandwich and a salad. My picky child, he ate the croutons and the roll - two for the price of one. The days of cheap eating are long gone, but I have tried hard to always hold close the memory.



The stomach virus has hit our abode. And I find myself thankful for the small things. S was the first to fall victim. At 14, he is largely self-sufficient when ill. Today, it has been nipping at my ankles, but I rejoice. My intestinal fortitude remained intact as I expunged the explosive evidence of an 8 year-old who didn’t quite make it in time.

And now, while I type, I cling desperately to the remnants of gratitude as that selfsame child peppers me with wakeful questions and comments – at midnight, for this is an indication of slightly improved health.

What gives me the least gratitude tonight? Well, I don’t think anyone enjoys cleaning up after unintentional bodily emissions (especially when feeling a bit on the queasy side).

And for what am I most grateful right now? I am the most grateful for the fact that everyone isn’t sick at once. I am most grateful for the hope that some might sidestep this illness altogether. I am eternally grateful for the God of small favors.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Oh, oh, oh, oh! I am soooo not a throw up mom. Of course, I do what I have to, but the entire time I am so focused on myself, it is shocking. I always have this interior monologue: "Don't get sick, don't get sick. Is that a stomach pain? Do I feel nauseous? Don't breathe on me!"

    I wish you all the best over the next few days: toilets well-aimed for, children spared from the bug, an abundance of ginger ale and Sprite...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:43 AM  

  • I gotta tell ya...upchucking is my LEAST favorite thing in the entire world.

    *shudder*
    ANYthing but upchuckling.........
    BACK surgery, fine.
    Upchucking.....*shudder*

    By Blogger Mel, at 1:06 AM  

  • LOL, I don't even like the words used to describe throwing up. They are all much too visual. I can actually usually talk about it without making myself feel queasy, but if I write it, read it, or hear it....well...

    I think I remember every stomach bug I have ever had in my life. That's pretty sad, but to paraphrase David Letterman: You can spend the next week throwing up every 20 minutes for the entire week, and not one bit of that experience will prepare you for the next time it happens.

    By Blogger atypical, at 1:11 AM  

  • Man I hate it when Letterman is right...

    Throwing up is bad; but not as bad for me as exploding poo or eye injuries, which send me screaming into the road.

    SO sorry all y'all fell prey to this nastiness... hope you emerged relatively unscathed.

    By Blogger Karyn, at 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home