nonsensical text

Saturday, October 14, 2006

the games people play

I came home from football practice with S this evening to find the dh, N, M & J playing a lively game of Monopoly. I may have mentioned before that the man hates playing with me, because I won't trade properties. Somehow, anyone who trades with him always ends up on the short end of the stick, even if it seems like a mutually beneficial deal at the time. It might have something to do with the fact that he played in tournaments when he was younger. That he always seems to be coming to your aid when you are in a tight spot doesn't hurt either. I guess, in a way, that's how many real life monopolies got their start (thinking Grapes of Wrath and the dustbowl here).

It was interesting mostly to see the character dynamics of my family brought to light through entertainment. I know my family pretty well, so none of it surprised me completely. Dh is a sore winner, N is a sore loser, and M & J enjoy egging on whichever one is in power at any given moment. My house is emptier by one piano, and the dh kept the kiddos up an hour and a half past their normal bedtime on the evening before we have a morning football game across the state line. Grrrrrr. I have a feeling we aren't all going to the game as planned.

Come to think of it, real life's a bit like that Monopoly game. Everyone is doing things with a planned goal in mind - small scale engineering of events in attempt to reach a particular destination. Everyone has a different destination in mind - even if they are very close, they are never exact in scope. So I guess my day tomorrow depends on who is rolling the dice.

Hey, as long as my playing piece is the little Scottish terrier, I guess I'm good.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home