nonsensical text

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

a little bit of this…

I have been remiss in my general posting and bread baking duties. Once again, I prove ever so vividly my utter undependability (If you don’t believe me on this one, just ask my friend who emailed me over a month ago, and I have yet to send out a response even though I think about it every single day).

So, although I am not even going to attempt bread this week, I am going to try to catch up in many other small ways. First, Pam over at the MarillaAnne blog has posted the answers to two more of my interview questions. One of these postings is pretty recent, so I have an excuse for not updating about that one. The other…not so much. I also owe her a comment on one of her answers (that threatened to turn into doctoral thesis length – my comment, not her post). Have I typed even one word of it? No.

Emailing, commenting, blogging, all have fallen by the wayside in the past few days/weeks/months/years. But, if I sit here any longer ruminating upon all of this, I will merely type a post completely concerning my regrets without taking any steps to remedy them. So, the steps may be small, but I am tentatively venturing forth in the faith that any progress is better than none at all.

My good friend Spidermama has tagged me for the real moms meme. The objective is to make the statement, “Real moms ______.” The blank can comprise one word or a million. Posting a picture with the assertion is also an option. I’ll have to check around to see if I have any in my files because I STILL haven’t figured out how to work my Christmas camera. I guess that isn’t surprising since I haven’t exactly tried to do so.

Anyway, without further ado:

I sat at baseball this evening with the pink one. The blue eyed J-bird was carousing with his teammates as they awaited the arrival of enough additional players to begin the game. A seven year old boy wearing the uniform of our team slowly approached the field.

“Look mom! A beautiful chocolate boy!” the pink one exclaimed. “And there his two pretty chocolate mommies and his chocolate sister!” No, the child didn’t have two mothers, merely one mother and a teenaged sister who, I would assume, rather resembled an adult to the eyes of a three year old child. And, no, none of them were made of chocolate.

Here’s where the real mom part comes in.

Real moms don’t correct their daughters for making errors in political correctness just for the sake of political correctness. Real moms understand that a discussion on the finer points of accepted terminology would take no root in the mind of most preschoolers. Real moms find pride in the fact that their daughter, who has been exposed to people of many different ethnicities for her entire life (including in her own family), who up to this point has never given the slightest sign that she notices the differences in the color of people’s skin, chose to pull from her thoughts a connection to her most favorite thing in life – chocolate!



Real moms hope that no one would ever be offended by the innocent words of their baby, but would instead see the love in that child’s eyes.

I am betting this meme has already made the rounds of many; nevertheless, I tag Mary, Mel, and Pam

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Got it. I am still working on the interview questions... Well, I worked on them and then it got really busy, what with some out of town company yesterday, Marley's birthday party today and general exhaustion from resuming some vigorous walking. Blah, blah, blah. They'd be done but the book question wants to turn into a Master's thesis.

    Oh, and your real mom? Definitely a good mom!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:10 AM  

  • Well, I always sucked at 'tag' and generally turned it into a new game of 'hide and seek'.

    But....okay! LOL

    By Blogger Mel, at 9:45 PM  

  • At about the same age, my eldest did almost the same thing. I responed pretty much the same way you did, with the same hope.

    So yeah real moms do!

    By Blogger Julie Pippert, at 6:06 AM  

  • My real mom meme is up!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:47 AM  

  • You know, I had a neighbor who couldn't get her son to stop eating chocolate. He thought if he just ate and ate it he could turn into Michael Jordan.

    Ah, to be young!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home