nonsensical text

Sunday, January 07, 2007

peek-a-boo


Okay, you can call off the search party. I am still alive and kicking. I really think I must have accidentally basted the Christmas turkey with my creative juices instead of the pan drippings. I'm all dried up. Just call me Madam Raisin.

I found myself contemplating today - nothing monumental, more along the lines of Descartes' brains in a vat. Many philisophical ideas really serve no purpose other than to allow us to skip off on a merry little journey of "what ifs." There is no proving them, and it wouldn't matter if they were true, because it wouldn't change our lives at all. It is just somewhat entertaining and thought-provoking to ponder them. My little thoughts didn't even aspire to such loft. I just thought it was an interesting train to depart upon.

Last week (or earlier - I have no concept of time as I grow older), we were watching a program about chemistry. As they began discussing the discovery of electrons, I was reminded of a tangent my ADD brain had ventured upon while waiting for my eldest to finish reading a section of his chemistry text one day during school. I started thinking about the design of the atom - how the rings of electrons orbiting the nucleus really are similar to the planets orbiting the sun.

This is where I get weird on you. All of a sudden, I proposed the possibility that all that we know - our entire solar system is nothing but an atom in the fabric which makes up God. I must here state that I am not someone who believes that we are divine and make up a cosmic whole. I am not here proposing that I have finally figured out the true nature of God. I just found the concept tantalizing. Somehow, it gave me a clearer insight into just how limited our vision is as human beings.

Here we are, made in the image of God, and yet we are so small that we cannot see things from His all-knowing perspective. I once heard our vision compared to that of an ant encountering a beach ball. His size makes it impossible for him to take in more than a very small section of that ball. He may not even be able to conceive of its roundness. Likewise, when we look at the world and all of its troubles, we are only seeing a very small slice of the grand design. Our senses simply are not profound enough to comprehend the big picture.

I'm sure I've done a pitiful job of explaining myself in these few paragraphs. Be that as it may, I'm throwing it out there anyway. There's nothing like philosophizing while tired and uncreative, after all.

2 Comments:

  • My brain isn't functioning enough to respond to your suggestion. It is time for bed!

    Just wanted to stop by and say hi! Hi!

    I'll be back later this week.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:36 AM  

  • LOL, my brain wasn't awake enough to even really MAKE a sugestion.

    This did get me thinking about evolution and legos, though. Remind me to blog about that some day.

    By Blogger atypical, at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home