nonsensical text

Sunday, September 09, 2007

web weavers


All summer, there have been several rather large spider webs attached to the wall just outside of my back door. This prime real estate resulted in enormous quantities of trapped insects and a resultant boom in egg sacks hanging in the uppermost web.

These webs were not very attractive, but I left them where they stood for the entire summer. There was always an instant science lesson for whoever wandered into the back yard. The insect population inside my house (from childhood associated repeat screen door flappage) was less acute than might have been.

People were coming over for Labor Day, and the husband placed the power washer into the N boy’s hands. The webs couldn’t withstand the fervency of his delighted spraying. Suddenly, an entire summer’s stockpile was gone with very little time left before the cooler weather decreases the food supply.

Tuesday morning, I walked outside to find two new webs where the old ones had been. Today, I see that they are beginning to serve their food pantry functions. Though all was lost, life continues onward – and death as well.

I could learn a lot from that spider.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • We leave spider webs too...taught by my parents. They do catch the insects (mostly mosquitos) and are a wonderful lesson for kids. :)

    Like this post. :)

    Julie
    Using My Words

    By Blogger Julie Pippert, at 8:23 AM  

  • If we leave spider webs, it is not from intention but from neglect. As one of the most common spiders around here are black widows (there are probably a dozen of them in my garage on any given day), I'm not too excited about leaving webs be.

    However, as a life lesson, as you learn from the spiders, I learn from you. Life does go on.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:48 AM  

  • Awwww...what a cute crochet spider!

    I'm thinkin' that's not the one you're desiring to learn from, huh?

    Persevering little bugger, isn't he!
    Now THAT I could stand to learn myself.

    By Blogger Mel, at 8:35 PM  

  • well - i've known this lesson for a long time...but you knew that.

    By Blogger spidermama, at 12:38 AM  

  • I learned a lot from a spider once. Her name was Charlotte.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:17 AM  

  • simple and beautiful.
    ::tears::
    ...for so many reasons...

    By Blogger jouettelove, at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home